Assisted Living Community Compare Guide
Following are key questions we encourage you to answer to help you evaluate and choose an assisted living community that provides a good fit for you.
At A Glance
- Is the assisted living community attractive and inviting?
- Is it conveniently located within a safe area?
- Can family and friends get there easily?
- Is it close to shopping, or other local amenities?
- Do the employees and residents appear happy and engaged?
- Is there parking for my car?
- Does the site make it easy for me to talk with/interview other residents to get their insights on living there?
- How does this community empower its residents?
- Does this community have an online presence and does it provide internet access?
- What fitness and learning opportunities are here?
- Will the spiritual services offered meet my needs?
- Can I spend a day here observing to see what life is like?
- Can I see myself enjoying living here and doing the things that I enjoy most?
- Are dining areas convenient to the living spaces?
- Are there choices for dining times and menu items?
- What are examples of planned activities and do they change depending on individual interests?
- What transportation is available?
- Can I see your rule book?
- What are my options for supportive and care services?
- Is the staff accommodating and friendly?
- Can I talk with them one-on-one to learn more about their views on the community?
- Are they readily available or on-call to assist?
- What type of training do the staff members receive?
- Is there a nurse on staff? What are the nurse’s hours and responsibilities?
- Will the staff members assist to coordinate medical or other appointments?
- What types of services are outside of the staff’s work scope?
- Who decides when to call 911? Are there written policies about how that decision is made?
- What kind of emergencies are the staff expected to handle and how are they trained for them?
- Is there an emergency call system in the building?
- Is this site easy to navigate?
- Is it well-lit, comfortable and clean?
- Are common areas easily accessible from the residential apartments/ suites?
- If more than one level, are there elevators?
- What types of amenities are available (i.e. media center, beauty/barber salon, library, exercise equipment, computer, convenience shop, deli, etc.).
- Can you decorate your home the way you want (i.e. paint colors, window treatments, etc.)?
- What is the choice of floor plans?
- Are pets allowed?
- Is there adequate privacy and quiet?
Supportive Services and Care
- What is the assessment process?
- How do you get to know me as a person and support the lifestyle I desire?
- What services are provided in the monthly rent?
- What additional services are available for changing physical needs?
- Are these services offered within packages or on a fee-for-service basis?
- What are physical conditions that might require a resident to move to another location?
- How much could my costs increase if I need more services?
- If I can’t pay my rent, will I have to move?